Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Amy's T-Shirt Quilt

Most of you know, but my daughter Amy asked me to take all of her t-shirts from her Drill Team days and make her a quilt about 6 or so years ago.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I looked online for ideas, but couldn't find anything that showed me what I needed to know.  I had already cut all of the t-shirts up and they were all different sizes, so I was lost.  Every quilt I came across had cut the shirts all of the same sizes and basically put squares to squares in rows.  One, I don't like the looks of them, and two, all of my shirts were different sizes, so I had to figure out something different.
So I signed up for a Quilting 101 class at Quilt Country in Lewisville.  I finished my first quilt, (which was one of my first posts on my blog, and then I took Quilting 102, and at this posting, it has been finished being pieced since the class back last summer, but got put on hold until I finished other projects.  I have now started machine quilting it, but have not finished it yet.  TBD.
I finally got brave and decided to tackle the dreaded t-shirt quilt.  What to do, What to do????  I still didn't know where to start.  My daughter Mandy came over and we laid out the tshirts all different ways and each time, I would agree with the way we had it, but then I'd change my mind.  So one day, I was determined to get it started.  I pulled out all of the many sizes of squares and laid them out one more time.  What was I gonna do?  I was determined this time to come up with some plan, I wanted her to have it by Christmas.  Nothing else to do but dive in head first.  I pulled out my trusty colored pencils and graph paper.  I found my largest square and the process began.  I measured and drew, measured and drew.  I got each block planned out, which took about 3 days. 

I had already planned to do it in her school colors, Gold, Black and White for Forney Jackrabbits, so I had been buying various fabrics in those colors.  Once I got the plan completed, I started cutting fabric.  I assembled one block at a time, and then one row at a time until 4 rows were complete and measured the same length.  The quilt was born.
Then I had to come up with the back.  I kind had in my mind what I wanted to do, so that involved help from Mandy and learning to use my embroidery machine.  I created a block for each year Amy was in Drill Team with what position/officer she was.  Then off to the quilter two months before Christmas.  I got it back the second week of December, added the binding, by hand and it was done.  Whew!!!

Here is a picture of it with Bill and Amy's husband Aaron holding it up.
They are both over 6 ft tall, so you can tell just how big it is.

I think she liked it.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great t-shirt quilt! They are hard to make look good but you totally pulled it off! (Visiting from Pam's contest post.)